Wind Energy | previous page
South Dakota Wind Energy Projects
Wind Farms in Production
South Dakota has several operating wind farms including:
- The South Dakota Wind Energy Center in Hyde County has 27 turbines that can produce 40.5 megawatts (MW) of energy. It is South Dakota's first major wind farm, beginning operation in 2003. It is owned by NextEra Energy Resources (formerly known as FPL Energy) and the power is sold to Basin Electric Power Cooperative.
- The MinnDakota Wind Farm in Brookings County began operating its 36 turbines in January 2008. The farm can produce 54 MW of electricity. Iberdrola Renewables owns the wind farm and sells the electricity to Xcel Energy.
- The Tatanka Wind Farm is located in McPherson County. Its 59 turbines began producing electricity in March 2008. It has a generating capacity of 88.5 MW. The project was developed by Acciona Energy and the power is sold into the MISO market.
- The Wessington Springs Wind Project in Jerauld County began operating in February 2009. Owned by Babcock & Brown, the 51 MW of electricity the project is capable of producing with its 34 turbines is purchased by the Heartland Consumers Power District, which is headquartered in Madison, S.D.
- Buffalo Ridge I Wind Farm, in Brookings County, is a 24-turbine farm capable of producing 50.4 MW of wind energy. Developed by Iberdrola Renewables, the wind farm began operation in April 2009. Northern Indiana Public Service Company purchases the power.
- The first phase of the Titan Wind Project in Hand County went into production in December 2009. Built and operated by BP Alternative Energy, the energy from the 25-megawatt project is purchased by NorthWestern Energy. The wind farm has 10 turbines.
- The Day County Wind Farm began operation in April 2010. It was developed by NextEra Energy Resources and features 66, 1.5-MW turbines. It has a generating capacity of 99 MW of energy, which is purchased by Basin Electric Power Cooperative.
- Buffalo Ridge II Wind Farm in Brookings and Deuel counties has 105 turbines. The farm has a generating capacity of 210 MW of wind energy. Developer Iberdrola Renewables provides power to customers served by MISO. The wind farm began operation in December 2010.
- The PrairieWinds SD1 Wind Project, located in Jerauld, Aurora and Brule counties, has 101, 1.5-MW turbines and has a generating capacity of 151.5 MW of wind energy. The project was developed by Basin Electric Power Cooperative and includes one turbine owned by Mitchell Technical Institute. The turbine is used in conjunction with MTI's Wind Turbine Technology Program. PrairieWinds SD1 began operation in February 2011 and the energy produced is also purchased by Basin Electric.
- South Dakota Wind Partners Wind Project, located directly next to PrairieWinds SD1 wind farm in Jerauld County, consists of seven, 1.5-MW turbines. It has a generating capacity of 10.5 MW of wind energy. Like its neighboring project, Basin Electric Power Cooperative is also the developer and power purchaser of this project.
- The Oak Tree Wind Farm, located in Clark County, began operations in December 2014. It has a total of 11 turbines with a combined capacity of 19.5 MW. Energy generated by the project, which is owned and operated by Consolidated Edison Development, is contracted to NorthWestern Energy.
- The Beethoven Wind Farm, with a total capacity of 80 MW, is made up of 43 turbines located in Bon Homme, Hutchinson, and Charles Mix counties. The project came online in May 2015. NorthWestern Energy is purchasing all energy generated by the project.
- The Campbell County Wind Farm, developed by Consolidated Edison Development, began operation on Dec. 31, 2015. The 43-turbine project has a total capacity of approximately 94.3 MW and all generated power is purchased by Basin Electric Power Cooperative.
Smaller projects are located around Chamberlain, Howard, Gary, Canova, Carthage, Oaklane Colony and Rosebud. All together, South Dakota has more than 884 MW of wind energy installed.
Other areas considered for wind energy development are the Coteau des Prairies in the northeast; Buffalo Ridge, which extends north-south from Marshall County to Brookings County; Turkey Ridge within Turner and Yankton counties; Fox Ridge near Faith; and several central South Dakota counties and tribal lands.
Website links found throughout www.puc.sd.gov are intended to provide helpful resources. Inclusion of a Web link on this site is not necessarily an endorsement of an organization, product or service.